For months, perhaps years now, we’ve heard nothing about the anthrax bacterium.
In 2001 and 2002, several acts of terrorism involved airborne anthrax in a medium of white powder. However, in this recent incident, which was not part of any terrorist activity, animal hides on drum surfaces were contaminated with anthrax, causing gastrointestinal anthrax and not inhalation or cutaneous infection. Apparently the anthrax bacterium can live on in the animal skin hides used for drums. It is a concern of sufficient significance to call for an advisory from the U.S. Center for Disease Control (CDC).