This paraphrased list of “Do and Don’t” was targeted specifically to secure exchange of sensitive financial information. However, these are generally applicable suggestions for law-abiding people who don’t want to blather their personal business all over the internet:
- Don’t email directly from work.
- If emailing using work resources does not violate your employer’s network security policies, use a web mail provider that offers SSL encrypted browsing. Ever heard of hushmail.com?
- Don’t use your employer’s resources for personal communications of a sensitive nature e.g. to your attorney.
- Use robust encryption, such as PGP keys for email (PGP = Pretty Good Privacy?)
- If you use Instant Message, a secure chat client will give peace of mind.
Also recommended for those considering front-running of frozen orange-juice futures.